As a parent, you may want information regarding your student living in Lake Michigan College’s Beckwith Hall. We recognize how important parents and other family members are to the success of our students, but we are limited to the information we can share by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects and governs the release of certain information.
With regards to housing and pursuant to the amended FERPA, directory information, which may be made public without a student’s written permission, shall include: name, address, phone number, and email address.
The Housing Office takes great care to protect the confidentiality of our residents. Information will be posted/released under the following circumstances.
• Full names, phone numbers and email addresses to roommates when assignments are
—–distributed to facilitate communication prior to arrival at Beckwith Hall.
• First names of students on door decorations.
• First names of students on bulletin boards (for building community).
• Full name of student when an award or recognition has been achieved.
• Full name of students participating in a leadership group or association.
• Staff who need to create floor lists.
• Staff who wish to create social networking or electronic communities, or other forms of
—–communications between residents. Residents will be given the option to opt-out of these
—–lists, electronic communities or communication.
We are not able to share information with family members regarding roommate conflicts, judicial issues, conflicts and their resolutions, or other student conduct related issues. Should your son or daughter bring an issue to your attention, please encourage them to contact the Housing Office staff members directly to resolve the situation. If your student wants us to discuss these matters with you, they will need to provide written consent and discuss this option with us personally.
Please know we will contact you if your student is involved in an emergency situation. Appropriate LMC administrative staff or medical personnel will contact family members listed as emergency contacts. Family members may also be contacted if the College is extremely concerned about a student’s well-being.
LMC’s full FERPA statement can be viewed here.